Just a quick one this week folks! Sorry for posting late this week. I just got back from my second Financial Blogger Conference (FinCon for short) in the Big Easy.
Four days of sessions, partying, networking and hanging out with other personal finance bloggers in the famous French Quarter.
This is the kind of conference that reminds me about the power of the internet and people. From hanging with New York Times bestselling authors to taking shots with blogger friends you don’t normally get to see during the year, this is probably my favorite conference to attend.
It’s a testament that you can make money online, finances can be fun and amazing things can happen when the internet brings people together.
Below you’ll find just some of the highlights from my trip.
- Spoke on a panel with Kim Peterson (MSN Money), A.J. Smith (Smart Asset), and Lauren Greutman (I Am THAT Lady) about how to get more press for your blog.
- Karaoke on Bourbon Street and shouting at people from balconies. Enough said.
- Got to hang out with my girls Shannyn Allan (Frugal Beautiful) and Carrie Smith (Careful Cents)! We all started our blogs around the same time and it’s incredible to hang out in person and support each other in our growth. Also made a new friend in my area, Eric Nisall of Dollarversity. Literally met for the first time at the airport on the way to New Orleans and hung out all weekend. Just goes to show how conferences like this can help you connect with cool people you don’t even know in your own area.
- Dinner and a trolley tour of New Orleans with Farnoosh Torabi, J.D. Roth and a crew of fabulous women like Stephanie Halligan (The Empowered Dollar), Sandy Smith (Yes, I am Cheap), Michelle (Shop My Closet Project) and Cat Alford (Budget Blonde) at NOLA (otherwise referred to as Emeril Lagassi’s restaurant). Thank you to A Perfect Circle Jewelry Insurance for the fabulous night!
- Farnoosh Torabi mentioned my book in her keynote AND called me out in the audience 🙂 Yeah, that happened. In real life. She is so sweet and down to earth! Highly recommend picking up her latest book, When She Makes More.
- More fried food than I even knew was humanly possible to consume.
- Alcohol induced masterminds in the hotel lounge. Once again, enough said.
- This music video.
Resources for Surviving Blog Conferences
For those of you who have thought about attending conferences for your own businesses (or pleasure) check out some resources on how to make the most of them.
Post-Conference Action Plan – The Centsible Life
How to Survive Your First Professional Conference – From my column over at SALT Money.
8 Tips to Rock Your Blog Conference (complete with checklists! You know how much I love checklists lol) – Kristen Oliphant
How I Keep My Business Running While a Travel – From my trip to California earlier this year.
Other cool personal finance blogs and podcasts to check out:
Canadian Finance Blog (for all my Canadian readers. I know you’re out there ;))
Did I miss any? What are your favorite personal finance blogs? Share in the comments below!
If you want to check out FinCon for yourself (because why wouldn’t you want to party with money bloggers, right?) check out their website and sign up for updates.