Welcome to Part 3 of the How to Quit Your Job Series! Today we’re tackling a big mistake I see a lot of beginning entrepreneurs and side hustlers making: hiding behind a computer screen!
There seems to be this misconception online that all you have to do is publish some blogs and that money will start rolling in. Sorry to break it to you, but that’s not at all how it works. In fact, this isn’t a very smart way to go about making fast money.
The reality is if you want to start making fast money you have to find people who pay you. As Ali Brown often says, in the beginning stages you need to follow the money. In this week’s video we’re covering:
- A mini lesson in inbound vs. outbound leads (and which one you should be focusing on)
- How to find the best events full of your potential clients
- How to use referrals to increase business.
Watch the video below. If you’re on the go you can download the MP3 for your listening pleasure.
Making Fast Money Video Recap
1. Inbound leads are those that come to you.
This includes blogs, website traffic, people who follow you on social media, people who call you, people who email you, etc. In other words, you didn’t have to go out looking for them because they came to you.
This takes some time to build. For example, it can take a while to build a blog or an online brand that brings thousands of people per day – but it is well worth the time investment! You want to spend time focusing on building this part of your business because you don’t always want to be chasing people.
2. Outbound leads are those you actively go looking for.
This includes cold calls, cold emails, tweets, etc. This is what several business owners have to do before they’ve built up enough of a reputation where leads start coming to them. Don’t be surprised if you spend a lot of time here – especially in the beginning! The reality is clients don’t just fall into our laps, we have to work for them!
3. You need a combination of both to really make it in online business, but in the beginning you can spend most of your focus on actively seeking people who will pay you.
I’m a big believer in blending both inbound and outbound leads in my business. It’s why I’ve spent years building an online brand. However, that doesn’t mean I didn’t also spend a significant amount of time actively searching for clients.
Over time I’m happy to say that clients are starting to come to me, however this took many years of hard work and the foundation was built upon me actively seeking new clients.
4. Find the kind events where your potential clients will be hanging out. When you meet them at these invests invite them on the phone, follow up via email, etc. Build that relationship!
You must have a plan when you attend networking events! It’s not enough to simply show up and hand out business cards, you have to provide value! Additionally, if you meet a potential client don’t hesitate to start moving them through your sales funnel with a free consultation.
Read the 5 Best Conference Tips for Making Money and Growing Your Small Business for more on this topic.
5. Use referrals to make money quickly. People who can vouch for your work are your best salespeople. Ask them to send referrals over your way in exchange for something you’re willing to give them.
Referrals can go a long way when you need to make money quickly. Email your old clients and see if they need any work done. If they don’t need anything done, ask them to send people your way.
Resources Mentioned In This Video
3. Make Money Your Honey Workbook (launching soon!)