When I started making money online back in 2010 there weren’t that many online businesses. In fact, it wouldn’t be until 2013 when I started taking online business seriously and proceeded to quit my day job.
Fast forward to 2016 and starting an online business is what all the cool kids are doing. There isn’t a day when someone doesn’t tell me how badly they want to quit their job, start an online business and travel the world.
While I totally dig that entrepreneurship is on the rise, and while I believe starting an online business is one of the best things I’ve ever done for my financial life, there is a lot of crap being spewed out by so-called coaches and marketers about how easy this all is.
In today’s podcast episode, I plan on dispelling some myths as it pertains to starting and running an online business.
Why am I talking about this?
I’ve been in Facebook groups lately where coaches are actually encouraging people to take on thousands of dollars of debt to hire them. While I’ve previously mentioned there’s a way to use debt responsibly when hiring a coach, I think it’s very telling of the coaches themselves who are literally telling people to go into financial ruin just to hire them.
I’ve seen a lot of people get scammed. Tons of people trying to sell a system promising that customers will start making money with an online business overnight. Guess what? It doesn’t happen that way.
There’s a lot of fake entrepreneurship going on. Don’t believe everything you see being posted online through the Instagram filter.
Who is this for?
- People who are considering starting their own online businesses.
- People who are considering taking the leap into full-time entrepreneurship.
- People who are already full-time business owners and are feeling like they are far behind in terms of success.
- Coaches, consultants and teachers who want to make sure they remain in integrity when talking about online business.
What royally pisses me off:
People who are selling pipe dreams to desperate people. Those saying “It’s so easy!” or “Just change your mindset and all your problems will disappear!”
Has the internet made it easier to start a business? Yes.
Does mindset make a difference? Yes.
However, people aren’t telling the whole truth. Don’t bullshit people by telling them they’re going to be rolling in the dough.
Those of us who run legitimate businesses will tell you that entrepreneurship is hard. In fact, it’s possibly the hardest thing we’ve ever done.
Our responsibility as coaches and role models:
- We need to be truly transparent. Share wins as well as when things suck. Puts it into a more realistic perspective.
- Be honest about the hard work. I’ve had serial entrepreneurs tell me that the only thing more difficult than starting a business from scratch has been raising their children. Of course, both are totally worth it, but it doesn’t come without work.
- It’s a lot of responsibility. I fervently believe that if you want to go into business for yourself then you need to actually enjoy the process of running a business. You need to want to take on the responsibility. It’s not just about having a marketable skill, it’s about knowing how to lead and take ownership.
- It will change your life. Entrepreneurship is going to change everything you’ve ever known about yourself and about money. Get ready to face your fears every day. If you’re not comfortable with that you need to keep it moving.
- You gotta want it. All the successful entrepreneurs I know have made clear choices and sacrifices to get to where they are. We know that in the beginning.
Resources That Are Helpful Or Add Value to This Episode
- It’s Time to Dispel The Myth That It’s Easy to Start An Online Business – My most recent article for The Huffington Post.
- Make Money Your Honey Paperback Edition
- Make Money Your Honey Ebook Edition
- Application for Private Business Coaching with Amanda
Subscribe on iTunes and Stitcher