Try this one thing and never worry about spending money again (FinCon13 Recap)

10407722846_362da2a279_z

You feel like you’ve done everything right when it comes to making a budget, but for some reason you still feel like crap when spending money or paying your credit card.

Last weekend I flew out to St. Louis to lead a workshop for FinCon13 and while I was there I learned the secret to having a rockstar budget while never having to worry about spending money. All of these successful money bloggers made one simple shift that changed everything:

They figured out what they really valued.

It’s exactly what Kate Northrup talks about in her new book Money: A Love Story. You figure out what you value in life and you’ll know what you should and should not be spending money on. The decisions become easy.

For instance, I value travel and I value freedom so when I have to spend money on my business or a new adventure I don’t feel so bad – in fact I feel great because I put my money toward something I hold valuable.

On the other hand, if I spend $200 bucks on clothes I don’t feel so great because I don’t value clothing that much. Actually, one can equate that feeling to a hangover.

This doesn’t mean I don’t try to make things cost effective – you can bet your ass I cashed in on airline miles, got myself a roommate, pitched to speak so I wouldn’t have to pay for a ticket, put everything on the business credit card for tax purposes, used my Southwest Rapid Rewards card to bank on airline miles, and then haggled my way up on Hyatt points for my next trip.

What it does mean is that I won’t feel like crap when I have to pay my credit card bill this month.What it means is I had an incredible experience that will add flavor to my life while I build my business –  and I have absolutely no problem with spending the money to do so.

Some other takeaways and highlights from #FinCon13

It’s your turn…

What I’d love for you to do is share what you value and what you love to spend money on. Everyone is different so all answers are welcome!

Leave a comment.

And if you know someone who battles with spending feel free to send this their way . They may find this tidbit enlightening.

Photo via Peter.Anderson. You can find other FinCon photos on Flickr!

About Amanda Abella

Amanda Abella is a coach, writer and speaker that helps millennial entrepreneurs make more money while having fun in their businesses. Sign up for free updates: http://www.amandaabella.com/join-the-tribe

, , , ,

24 Responses to Try this one thing and never worry about spending money again (FinCon13 Recap)

1. Jen October 22, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

That is so true Amanda! I’m right there with you….I value travel, my coffee (I have to be careful with this one though ;-) ), adventures with my family (which we don’t need to necessarily travel for. You are definitely a brilliant writer, enjoyed reading your post.

• Amanda Abella October 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

Thanks FinCon roomie! Now you start kicking some tail with all those ideas you got from the conference :)

2. Antoinette October 22, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Amanda it was great meeting you also at FinCon13. I must say that FinCon is one of the best conferences that I have ever attended. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Enjoy your weather in your area, because it is now snowing in Chicago.

• Amanda Abella October 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

It was great to meet you too! And I must agree that FinCon is pretty amazing! If you’d ever like to escape the cold and find yourself in Miami make sure to let me know! :)

3. Shannon-ReadyForZero October 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

This is a great post, Amanda. It’s so true that once you understand what you value, you will make more thoughtful decisions about how to spend your money. For me, I value spending time in coffee shops where my creative energy flows the best. That means I may spend $5 on a mocha – but I also pack breakfast and lunch each day so I don’t have to eat out at work. It’s all about balance.

PS Your speech at Fincon was awesome. So much great insight!

• Amanda Abella October 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Thanks Shannon! It was great to meet you too! If I’m ever in the Bay Area I am hitting you up! Same applies if you’re ever in Miami :)

4. Carrie Smith October 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

So awesome getting to hang out with and to meet Derek Halpern! Definitely the coolest blogger idol ever. :) I also like your point about spending money on things you value, that really does make it worth the price.

• Amanda Abella October 23, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

I know! What a cool guy! It was pretty refreshing after all those awkward moments I had at the last conference I went to haha. I’m definitely going to implement the 80% promotion/20% content strategy he talks about. I’d seen it before and thought it was impossible, now that I’m so busy with business I actually get it LOL.

5. Rebecca @ Stapler Confessions October 23, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

You hit the nail on the head, Amanda. Now that I align my spending with my values, instead of thinking “I can’t afford that,” I think, “I don’t want to pay for that.”

• Amanda Abella October 23, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Amen sister! Makes all the difference in how you see money :)

6. Cristina October 23, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

As always your blog is right on the money! Great tips on how to invest in what you value most so that when it comes time to swipe you don’t feel bad.

• Amanda Abella October 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Thanks! Loved your play on words there. Right on the money, get it? Lol.

I digress from my Lit major moment.

7. Debt BLAG October 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

I value learning! Glad we got to meet and I thank you again for your session

• Amanda Abella October 25, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Ooooh that’s a great one! I’m glad we got to hang too and thanks for coming out to my session :) let me know if you ever need anything :)

8. Kristyn October 25, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Hey Amanda! Kristyn from Quizzle here. I’m glad you bring up this point because it’s so important to think about the things you value most in life, and spend your money accordingly. Makes those purchases a little less hefty, and makes you a LOT happier :) Great insight & great blog.

• Amanda Abella October 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Hi Kristyn! It was great to meet you and the rest of the Quizzle team at FinCon! Hope you guys enjoyed all us nerdy financial bloggers haha. Thanks for stopping by and sharing some of your own insight!

9. Miss Thrifty November 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Well, I am chuffed to count you among my new blogger friends too! Roll on #FinCon14. In the meantime, here’s to making tip-top impressions, prioritising promotion above content quantity and all the rest of those great lessons we learned… :)

• Amanda Abella November 4, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Amen sister! I certainly learned a ton from your presentation and have already been asked for some quotes and interviews in bigger outlets! Bring on #FinCon14!

10. Jules December 12, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

These are things I have been struggling with. I guess I value safety, low to no stress and things going smoothly. So my money just goes to cover my basic monthly living expenses, that’s all the money I have…it’s a complicated situation, but recently I have been overextending by spending money on healthy foods & things to improve my health which seems like a step in the right direction except I can’t really afford it. I’ll have to do some more thinking and journal about it & examine where every penny goes if I have the time. Thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Financial Blogger Conference 2013 Recap: Seeing Old Friends, Meeting New People And Learning - October 24, 2013

[…] Try This One Thing And Never Worry About Spending Money Again (FINCON13 Recap) […]

2. Topics We’re Talking About: Career Choices - October 25, 2013

[…] Independence OC Breeze The Color of the Money Dinks Finance Lifehacker She’s Self Employed Amanda Bella Guide […]

3. My Adventures At FinCon '13 - Upping Your Game Through Professional Development - October 28, 2013

[…] from St. Louis – MoneyPlan SOS Fincon13: Inspired and Overwhelmed! | Budget and the Beach Try this one thing and never worry about spending money again (FinCon13 Recap) | Amanda Abella Do You Know How to Network? Fincon 13: Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone and Loving It | Eyes on the […]

4. #FinCon13: my biggest takeaway - Miss Thrifty - November 5, 2013

[…] organised by Shannyn from Frugal Beautiful, I got to hang out with some terrific bloggers including Amanda Abella, Erin from Red-Debted Stepchild, Sofia from Caviar & Quarters and Michelle from Making Sense of […]